Thursday, February 28, 2013

3 months

People often say, and I remember with Asher, that 3 months was a magical time when a baby started chilling out and being easier to care for. With Leif, I just don't think that is possible. He is already such a well-tempered baby. Of course, he has his times when he gets all fussy for no obvious reason, but in general Austin and I have found him almost too easy to take care of. I think part of it might be that we are more experienced as parents, but I think a lot of it is just that he is a mellow and pleasant little guy. Leif's personality comes out more and more as the days pass. Now instead of Asher's and Leif's interactions being mostly one-sided as Asher pesters and puts all of his weight onto his little brother, Leif is starting to smile and show real pleasure in interacting with his big brother. As Asher hangs all over Leif and gets right in his face, Leif coos and wiggles around.

Leif has become and expert bubble-blower. We often find him with a spit-bubble goatee, which is better than drooling I guess, but I'm sure that is right around the corner.

He is slowly but surely gaining weight. I know its not super accurate, but the other day I weighed myself, then weighed him with me and with his clothes and cloth diaper on, he was about 13 pounds, so I'm guessing naked he would be around 12 1/2 to 12 3/4. He is quickly gaining on what Asher weighed at this age so I'm pretty sure he will catch up and be just as big as his brother soon.

Leif has transitioned into sleeping in his own bed and only wakes up once to eat on most nights.
I have taken to calling Leif "alarm clock baby" because he wakes up at 3 am and 6 am to eat most days. This is very convenient most mornings since I can feed him, then stick him in bed with Austin while I go to work out and I won't have to worry about him pestering Austin because he is hungry while I am gone. However, Leif doesn't know about Sundays when I would like to sleep in and wakes me up at 6 am just the same.

He is just starting to be interested in his hands and will sit and watch them move around every now and then. He is starting to grab at things too and gets my hair and shirt stuck in his hands while he is nursing. He loved to look at me and smile while he is nursing and he is starting to like having his diaper changed too. He likes to be on the changing pad and even when I'm changing his diaper at 3 in the morning, he has lots of smiles for me.

Austin got Leif to giggle for the first time about a week ago. He was making pig noises at him (mostly for Asher's entertainment) and Leif started giggling about it. He still hasn't found anything I do that funny, but I'm perfectly content with all the smiling and cooing that I get from talking to him.

Sadly, Leif is starting to be more alert and bothered by Asher's contant noise. Before he didn't pay much attention to it, but now he startles and look around when he hears a loud noise. Its not long before he won't be quite as able to sleep through everything.









We just love having Leif in our family so far and I can't believe how fast he is growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment