Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Christmas Baking

One of my favorite things about Christmas is making Christmas cookies! And eating them! We've made several different batches this year. The kids love to help me and I usually have the patience for it, but sometimes I just like to do it myself. Even then, though, the kids usually find someway to convince me to let them help with something.






This year I let them decorate the gingerbread house all by themselves while I ran to the grocery store and this is what they came up with. They enjoyed eating some of it, but discovered it really wasn't that good and mostly ended up just playing with it. Poor Trevor threw up after he ate some because it had milk products in it that I hadn't noticed when I read the list of ingredients. Luckily, after he threw up, he seemed to be fine, so we are glad about that. We have since decided that graham crackers are a good choice for him when the other kids get to have things that he can't.

Heidi has helped me make peanut butter kiss cookies for the last couple years and was looking forward to it this year. Her special job it to unwrap all the kisses, roll the balls of dough in sugar and put them on the tray, then push a kiss onto each one once they come out of the oven.












 Chocolate cookies with Andes mints and/or M&Ms are my favorite Christmas cookies and the only ones that Austin really likes since they taste like brownies. The kids all fight over unwrapping the Andes and putting them onto the cookies when they come out of the oven. Too bad nobody ever fights over cleaning up and doing the dishes ;) (except Natalie, who makes more of a mess than anything when she washes the dishes)


And it wouldn't be Christmas without a batch of Christmas bread. This recipe has been passed down through my mom's family and was part of every Christmas when I was little. I still make a batch each Christmas for my kids to enjoy and Heidi loved helping with the cinnamon sugar filling this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment