Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Museum Day

One of my college roommates also lives in Colorado and since we haven't seen each other in years, she invited us to go with her and her daughter to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science on one of their free days. We got up really early since its a long drive and we would be battling traffic to get there as soon as they opened. The early morning and long drive were well worth the fun day that the kids had! We started out in the section specially designed for kids 7 and under and spend about two hours there with all the fun things  to do. It was a little tricky keeping track of the boys since there were kids everywhere and they were hopping from one exciting thing to the next while I tried to catch up with my friend. They did a really good job of listening to me and trying to stay close and we only had one incident all day of a missing kid (Asher wandered off for awhile, but hurried back to me as soon as he realized he had gotten separated).

We visited the "outer space" section next where the kids were enthralled with all things space. They really liked the space shuttle they could explore and play in. I didn't get a picture of it, but Asher really liked a rover that had been on Mars and had a million questions for me on the ride home about how it got to Mars, what it did there, how it did what it did there, how it stayed out of the rain, how did they fix it if it got wet in the rain, etc., etc., etc.



We also explored all the animal exhibits, but I didn't get any pictures of that. The boys really liked riding on the escalators and elevators too. As we were leaving, the boys had an encounter with a dinosaur that was walking around greeting visitors. They were a little hesitant at first, but thought it was really cool once they realized that it couldn't hurt them. Heidi was a pleasant little princess (like usual) the whole time we were at the museum. I put her in the carrying sling that I usually use when I take her out and she loved being packed around and seeing all the new sights and people. She got really tired after a few hours and finally fell asleep for a bit, but was soon awake again to see what was going on. I fed her right before we left, so while I was doing that, my friend took the boys to get one of those souvenir pennies that gets squished in a machine and stamped with a logo of the museum. They thought this was amazing and treasured their pennies afterward (unfortunately Leif lost his in the car somewhere and I'm still promising him that it will turn up any time now). It was a great day and we can't wait to meet up with my friend and her daughter (whom the boys really liked) to try out some other Denver museums on their free days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment