Monday, May 19, 2014

34 Months

Asher is getting to a stage that I love! He is starting to be interested in letters, numbers, and reading. We talk about the letters of the alphabet quite a bit and he is able to recognize some of the capital letters. He is best about "A for Asher" of course, but he can also recognize, B, D, G, J, L, M, N, P, R,  and T most of the time. Its really fun when we are out or looking at something and he will suddenly say "its A for Asher". That's typically the only one that he recognizes spontaneously without me asking, but when I ask what the others one are he can usually name them. I don't think it will be too long before he can recognize the whole alphabet.
We haven't worked on number recognition too much, but we do count all the time and Asher can rote count to 10 if he wants to. Of course he skips numbers or repeats quite a bit, but he is on his way. As far as reading goes, Asher likes to "read" the books that we read him most often, which is of course just memorization, but I have been pretty impressed with what he can do. Austin reads "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See" to Asher whenever he puts him to bed, so he can read the whole thing to Austin, but he gets shy and silly if I try to listen in. He has started reading some of the simple books that I read to him, but after the first page, he acts shy and tells me to read to him. Its so much fun to watch him learn and put new things together.
I love listening to Asher's stories. His language skills are pretty good so he can say almost anything he wants to, and he observes and remembers more than we give him credit for sometimes. Its really fun when its just Asher and I (when Leif is asleep and Dad is working or something) and he starts telling me about something that happened either that day or possibly months ago. His concept of time is a little mixed up, so usually he says "it was last week" or "a few weeks ago" even it was something that just happened. Usually the whole of the story is just him repeating back to me everything that happened, but its interesting to hear it from his perspective.
The idea of "because" is a really trick one for Asher.He usually states things backward when using this word. For example "Jellycat is crying because I'm hugging him" or "My back hurts because I need to sit in Daddy's chair" when really he means the other way around.
I mentioned earlier that Austin read the same books to Asher whenever he puts him to bed. This is probably the reason that Asher pitches a fit whenever its Austin's turn to put him to bed and cries for Mommy to put him to bed. I think Asher has caught on that Mom is a much better reader and reads a wider variety of books (as well as being a push-over that finds it really hard to refuse "one last story" even if the last 3 or 4 were supposed to be the last). However, Mom isn't as good or as willing as Dad is to read books while singing or with a horrible British accent.
Something funny that Asher likes to do while we are reading is to pretend to eat any pictures of food that happen to be in the story. Of course Jellycat (and any other of the many toys that keep him company at night) always has to have a sample too and sometimes it takes forever to turn the pages because everyone has to have some.
Asher's favorite color is most decidedly BLUE! All of his cups, bowls, and plates must be blue or they are unusable. He told me this morning that he likes his blue sweatpants and not his black sweatpants, "but
some people like black sweatpants." Outside of eating ware, Asher isn't as picky about colors, but he often says he does not like green because Dad likes green and he gets a little offended when I say that I like blue too. We have two colored sporks (a little fetish of Austin's that he is trying to pass down to his children)-one is blue and one is green. Asher always wants the blue one so Leif gets the green one (because if his brother is eating off a spork he has to do the same). This afternoon, Asher saw a plate with the green spork on it and got all upset and told me that green was not his favorite color. He calmed down when he realized that it was Leif's plate and there was another plate with the blue spork on it, but its funny to see him care so much about it.
Asher is a bossy little fellow who thinks he runs the world sometimes. He loves to tell everyone what to do. I'm sure he gets this from his mom :), but we are working on him asking questions like "mom, can you get me some milk?" instead of "mom, get me milk" He needs a lot of reminders to ask instead of tell, but he is getting there.
Here are today's pictures of our little Asher, who is getting too big too fast.





No comments:

Post a Comment