Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hogle Zoo with Cousins

On our Utah trip we met up with one of my cousins and her kids at the Hogle Zoo. It was really nice for the boys to get to visit with "cousins" about their age and I got to visit with my cousin. Although we were at the zoo for about 4 hours, we only got to see the main animals (lions, elephants, giraffes, monkeys, polar bear, seals. . . ) The biggest attractions for Asher seemed to be the water fountain that looked like a lion and the little train. With the water fountain, I let him stand there and get about ten drinks then finally made him move on for the sake of the other kids. A few minutes later I almost had a heart attack because I though he was with my cousin and found that he indeed was not with her. I left Leif with her to frantically search for him only to find him standing at the water fountain again watching some kids get a drink. He was only "lost" for a few minutes and I was pretty sure with so many other families around that nothing would happen to him, but it was still scary. With the train, I didn't get any pictures because it was the end of our visit and we were all tired, plus when the train finished and we had to get off, I literally had to drag Asher away from it. The little stinker even tried to sneak back in just after we went out the exit gate.
We were at the seals and sea lion exhibit just as they were about to start a training demonstration, so we got to watch them do some tricks. Asher really enjoyed watching them from under water though. 


Hogle Zoo has a splash pad to help the kids get cool- a very nice thing when its so hot. We played there for at least an hour. There was a big tube slide right next to the splash pad where Asher spent the majority of his time, but he made sure to stay nice and wet too. (I had some pictures of Leif in the splash pad, but I'm not sure where they went- sorry)
The kids also loved riding on the carrousel. For some reason while we were waiting in line, Asher and his older cousin, Jameson, decided that they wanted to ride on the bench instead of on animals. This made it easy for us, since we each had younger kids that couldn't really stay up on an animal without help- they were all very content just to sit on the bend and go "around and around and around and around". 
Asher and Leif were very excited when my cousin bought popcorn for a treat. They were even more excited when she spoiled them by buying them slushies in special zoo cups. I'm pretty sure neither of them had ever tasted a slushie before so that was a fun treat.

We have been to the Denver Zoo several time, but I felt like this was the first zoo trip where both of the boys were old enough to actually be interested in the animals and care that we were there. It was fun to enjoy it with cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment